Thursday, October 24, 2013

Review - Zeno Clash

Zeno Clash
Windows (Reviewed), XBLA
Action, FPS, Fighting, Brawler
April 21, 2009



The Preamble

In the downtime between GTA V and Pokemon X/Y, which I'm still working my way through, I was able to play a couple smaller games. 

I knew Zeno Clash was going to be weird, but I didn't expect the weirdness to enchant me as much as it did. While the game isn't perfect by any stretch, it explores some new areas in FPS mechanics that we don't see very often, and blows your mind with one of the strangest stories I've ever experienced in the the medium of video games.

The Overview

Zeno Clash is an FPS brawler where you play as a Ghat, making your way through the world of Zenozoik. The game is designed in a very linear way, but it works for this kind of game, as it is very similar to the campaign of a fighting game. 




As you make your way through the Zenozoik, you encounter groups of enemies that you must defeat in order to move the next area. The combat consists of a mixture of fist fighting, ranged weapon, and blunt weapon combat, all from the first person perspective.



As Ghat, you are a child of the great Father-Mother, which is a bizarre, bird-like, hermaphroditic single parent who has raised all of the children of the community and stands as the apex of the group. We learn early on that Ghat has discovered a dark secret of Father-Mother, and decides to leave the village and community as a result. 


Father-Mother
The story then unfolds as you play from Ghat's perspective, fighting your way through the villagers, the Corwid of the Free (an especially strange group that live out in the forest), and countless other Zenozoik oddities. With the help of some flashbacks, and the discovery of an ancient character called Golem that helps you in your journey, you unravel the real secret that Father-Mother is hiding. 


Golem

The Good
  • The story and world surrounding the characters is completely bonkers. I can't think of another game that makes me feel like I'm watching a David Lynch film as much as this one. I loved it. The creativity of the designers really shines in this game.
  • The game looks really good. With great support from the nearly 10 year old Source engine and wonderful creative design by the developers, the game holds up against the test of time on a visual level. 
  • Sure the world is cool, but possibly the most impressive part of this game is the mechanic they put front and center, the fighting! Hands down the best FPS hand-to-hand combat I've encountered in a game. The attacks are weighty, combo-ing feels amazing, and timing is crucial.


The Bad
  • It's hard to criticize a small budget indie game like this one too much, but if I have to, I will complain about the length. This is short game; I finished it in about 3.5 hours. That being said, there is a sequel out now for those that are hungry for more.
  • Even though linearity makes sense for a game like this, I think adding some non-linear gameplay for the player would have done nothing but add to the enjoyment to the game.
The Conclusion

Zeno Clash is a creative indie marvel that I think anyone with an appreciation for something staunchly outside of the box will enjoy. It sells for ten bucks on Steam normally, which might be a bit steep for a three hour game, but it goes on sale often, and I would highly encourage people to take a look when it does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment